May 7, 2021
Misty Hernandez, Evolve Spa, LLC
Lately, I have heard a number of women say that they feel invisible. It wasn’t just that term “invisible” that caught my attention, but the emotion I sensed with the comment. My heart broke for these women. These were all women that I felt were strong, intelligent, beautiful, fun, radiant and inspiring. Most of them I knew well enough to know that they were not suffering from clinical depression. So why were these impressive women feeling insignificant?
With concern and compassion, I asked some of them why they have been feeling this way. They all had one thing in common: they were of a certain age group. These dynamic women were approaching 60 or older. One described situations in the workplace where concepts she suggested were overlooked, only to be later implemented when a younger colleague made the same recommendation. Another described how she felt lost in her role. She was semi-retired and her grown children were busy working parents. Another said that people simply passed her by now that she had grey hair, despite her fit physique and unique style. Many of them started to retreat more, leave the workplace, become quieter, stopped reaching out to others. Here are some possible strategies, if you have also felt a decrease in attention from people you are in contact with on a regular basis.
- Make sure you are not isolating yourself from others. If you feel your lack of visibility may be related to depression, please seek medical attention. A qualified professional can successfully help navigate you through treatment.
- Acknowledge that this is a feeling. We have the ability to change our feelings. Consider using words of affirmation and meditation to visualize yourself with greater confidence and how you want to be seen.
- Get moving. We all know that exercise has many health benefits, physically and mentally. Going to a fitness facility on a regular basis also provides you opportunity to initiate conversation.
- Find a volunteering project or become a mentor. Being active with people who have the same passion for a charity can give you a platform to shine. Becoming a positive role model in a person’s life is a rewarding way to share your life experience.
- Reach out to your trusted tribe. Your support system is essential in life. Share your feelings and concerns and find new sources of joy. If you do not have devoted allies in your life, start taking applications.
- Look to your faith. If you believe in God or a higher power, they could tell you one thing right now; you were created with the same majestic power that created all the planets and beauty in the world. You are not invisible.